Soon after Republican Gov. Tim Pawlenty announced $2.7 billion in unallotments yesterday, DFL gubernatorial hopefuls began swarming media outlets with reactions.
Candidate Matt Entenza went so far as to announce he would be flying to Rochester this morning to voice his concerns about the unallotment. In a news release, he says these cuts will lead to higher local property taxes.
"This is part of a pattern the governor has engaged in since he took office: claiming to be a steward of the state budget while passing off costs to our communities," Entenza said.
Meanwhile, another candidate who happened to be visiting Rochester Tuesday night to discuss health reform made sure to get his reaction out via e-mail.
"The governor's action is in line with his recent veto of the anti-bullying bill. Tim Pawlenty has become the schoolyard bully; he is picking on the sickest, most vulnerable people in our state," said Sen. John Marty, of Roseville.
House Speaker Margaret Anderson Kelliher, of Minneapolis, who is considering a run, issued an e-mail statement soon after the announcement. Meanwhile, another possible candidate -- Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak -- traveled to the state Capitol yesterday to offer his opinion. St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman, who is also eying a potential run, was interviewed on MPR's Midmorning show.