News release from RFD:
Rochester Firefighters responded to a 9-1-1 call from a neighbor reporting lots of smoke and flames on the second floor of the house.
· 0424 hours 10/12/2013
· 1222 2 ST NE
· On arrival of firefighters, fire was visible on the outside of the window frame of the second floor
· Engine Two’s crew from the Silver Lake Fire Station quickly entered the house with their self-contained air packs and searched for survivors on their way to the room on fire.
· The two occupants who had been asleep on the main floor had escaped after being alerted to the fire
· Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the main body of fire using hose lines.
· Unfortunately, the fire had been burning undetected for some time and had penetrated into the wood sheathing that makes up the roof deck. It took two hours to extinguish the last few burning roof pieces because of the need to take apart the burned part of the roof bit by bit until the last ember could be found.
· There were no injuries and no fatalities
· Fire and smoke damage was limited to the upper level with some water damage to the main floor.
· Damages are estimated to exceed $10,000.
· The Rochester Fire Department’s Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the cause of the fire.
· Crews were still on scene at 0632 hours.
· Questions about the investigation can be referred to the Marshal’s Office, 507 328 2800 during business hours. Questions about the fire can be referred to Deputy Chief Steven Belau, 507 269 8152 24/7.