Posted by: Feldman
(NOTE: In order to see updates, you'll have to keep refreshing this page; it won't do it automatically, I don't believe.)
Welcome to the Rochester Rec Center for the Section 1A boys hockey championship game. Lots of storylines with this one.
I'll post goal summaries here and random notes during each period of tonight's game between No. 2 seed and No. 15-ranked Mankato West (22-5-0) and No. 1 seed and No. 7-ranked Rochester Lourdes (19-8-0). I'll also have updates on Twitter (@PBFeldy)
1. RL, Alex Funk 39 (Karl Krecke 15, Jason Samuelson 47) 5:38. Great pressure by Lourdes on a power play leads to Funk being left alone in the left circle. Rips a wrist shot short side. LOURDES 1, WEST 0
2. RL, Griff Slightam 8 (Funk 31) 7:24. Funk carries the puck around behind the net and feeds Slightam, who blasts one past Spiess. LOURDES 2, WEST 0
3. RL, Funk 40 (Samuelson 48, Krecke 16) 13:04. Samuelson lets a shot go from near the point, Funk with a great tip in front to re-direct it past Spiess.
4. RL, Funk 41 (unassisted) 1:03. Lourdes buzzes again on the opening shift of the period and Funk scores from close range to complete the hat trick.
5. RL, Funk 42 (Krecke 17) 9:02 (pp). Funk puts home a pass from Krecke for his fourth goal of the game, Krecke's third assist.
6. MW, Ryan Jutting 5 (Max Mettler 19) 11:07. Jutting puts West on the board on the first shot on goal against Andrew Ellingson, who replaced Jack Burkel with 6:42 to go.
7. RL, Luke Morrey 1 (Slightam 12) 12:10 (dp). With a delayed penalty coming against West, Lourdes gets the extra attacker on the ice and Morrey notches his first goal of the season.
* * *
G 33 Jake Spiess (10-4-0, 2.35 GAA, .908 save pct)
D 15 Scott McKissick (3-30--33) -- 24 Max Mettler (4-18--22)
F 3 Nick Campbell (17-32--49) -- 9 Galt Goettl (21-28--49) -- 7 Derek Frentz (38-32--70)
G 1 Jack Burkel (7-4-0, 3.10, .886)
D 12 Karl Krecke (8-14--22) -- 21 Griff Slightam (7-11--18)
F 4 Ben Weir (15-10--25) -- 20 Alex Funk (38-30--68) -- 7 Jason Samuelson (26-46--72)
* * *
* Lourdes is going for a fifth consecutive section championship and fifth consecutive state tournament trip, something a Rochester team has never accomplished
* Lourdes is playing in its sixth consecutive Section 1A championship game. The last team to beat the Eagles in a section final? Mankato West in 2008. That was the Ricky Litchfield-Corey Leivermann team that put up ridiculous point totals.
* This is West's first appearance in the section final since they won it in 2008.
* Lourdes has at least three players who will play in their fourth section title game tonight: D Karl Krecke, F Jason Samuelson and F Alex Funk. Lourdes D Griff Slightam is playing in his third section final as just a sophomore.
* Samuelson and Funk continue to set themselves miles apart from everyone else on Lourdes' all-time scoring list. Sean Corfits, a '92 Lourdes grad, entered this season with the all-time points lead (172), but Funk and Samuelson have left him and everyone else in their ice shavings. Samuelson has 217 career points, while Funk has 208.
* Both teams have a 70-point scorer. West's Derek Frentz has 38-32--70 this season, while Lourdes' Samuelson has 26-46--72. Funk (38-30--68) is close.
* West has two more players on the verge of topping 50 points: junior forwards Nick Campbell (17-32--49) and Galt Goettl (21-28--49).
* If Saturday's section semifinals are any indication, odds are this game will hinge on special teams and who can stay out of the box. As I noted in my preview to the game in Tuesday's Post-Bulletin, there were a total of 15 goals scored in Saturday's two section semifinal games. Eight of those goals were scored on special teams (seven power-play goals, one short-handed).
* * *
AROUND THE STATE
There are four other section championship games being played tonight. I'll try to provide updates on those games here and on Twitter (@PBFeldy) as much as possible. Those other section finals tonight are:
Section 3A: No. 4 seed Marshall vs. No. 6 seed Hutchinson (at Gustavus Adolphus College)
Section 7A: No. 1 Duluth Denfeld vs. No. 2 Duluth Marshall (at Amsoil Arena, Duluth)
Section 2AA: No. 1 Edina vs. No. 3 Burnsville (Mariucci Arena, Minneapolis, 6 p.m.)
Section 6AA: No. 1 Benilde-St. Margaret's vs. No. 3 Wayzata (Mariucci Arena, 8 p.m.)
In Section 5AA, there are a pair of semifinal games being played tonight at the State Fair Coliseum:
* No. 1 seed Blaine vs. No. 4 Champlin Park (6 p.m.)
* No. 2 Centennial vs. No. 3 Maple Grove (8 p.m.)