Northfield gears up for the holidays
Northfield’s downtown district will host an Art Crawl from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday. The galleries will be buzzing with art activity, gearing up for the 2010 holiday season.
The self-guided tour takes art connoisseurs studio-hoppin’ throughout the historic downtown of Northfield, visiting art shops, studios, co-ops and galleries.
The galleries include:
• Fine Craft Collective, 314 Division Street S. This year’s Collective consists of 25 established and emerging artists ranging from potters to jewelers to fiber, welding, painting, wood and mixed media artists.
• Northfield Arts Guild, 304 Division Street S., has a newly renovated and re-imaged gift shop filled with juried work from local artisans, including ceramics, jewelry, paintings, photographs, glass works and more for inspiring holiday gift ideas. The gallery features realistic portraits and figure paintings with a modern bent, exploring current themes.
• The Sketchy Artist, 300 Division Street S. Check out this weekend’s mixed media artwork display in watercolor, ink, and pastels, along with colored pencil illustrations and Asian prints on mounted scrolls.
• The Ephemeral, 220 Division Street S. This stylized art form personalizes images to their bare extremities. Debuting this weekend is new Tiki art and other line artwork such as some high-octane hot rod images.
• ArtOnWater, 217 Water Street S, will exhibit the work of more than a dozen artists, including art designs from hand thrown pottery, stained opalescent glass, and watercolor. The new Blackbox Gallery in the back is in constant rotation with frequent short, mini exhibits of new or experimental art.
• Studio Elements, 16 Bridge Square, showcases a mix of “fine art, handmade cards, unique gifts and fun junk” using multi-media that blends old with new in colorful geometric compositions.
• Swag, 423 Division Street S. The shop features emerging artists with pieces you just won’t find anywhere else. This weekend will showcase metal pieces and hand painted table toppers to dress up the season.
• Eclectic Goat, 418 Division Street S, spins support from local artisans with more than 75 participating in a “for consignment” collection including warm fuzzies like wool mittens, purses and jackets to jewelry, Batik scarves and paintings.
Northfield is also hosting the 12th annual Winter Walk from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Dec. 9.